Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cream of the Crappy Day Crop: Part 2

Oh yes, my shittastic Monday continues.

The scene: the Subway by my house. I go here a lot, and several of the women I know personally. They lovingly call me “Mrs. Veggie” because I am a vegetarian and one of their only customers who are, so they know my sandwich by heart. I travel a good bit, as some of you know, and to eat healthy, Mr. jme and I find those most convenient since we are both too tired to cook most nights.

I walk in to Subway Monday evening after work, and some of the ladies I know are working, but the woman who actually makes my sandwich on this day I do not know.

I order my usual: 2 foot long veggies (1 for me, one for Mr. jme) on Monterey Cheddar with Buffalo sauce, and we are all the way to putting veggies on the sandwiches.

Sandwich Artist: “Do you ever cook?”

Jme: “Excuse me?”

Sandwich Artist: “Do you ever cook? You’re in here a lot.”

Jme: “Well, I work 50 hours a week, travel out of town every other week for my job, so no, cooking is not high on my priority list.”

At this point, one of the ladies I know starts telling this broad the history behind me coming to them, and how they know me as Mrs. Veggie, and one day, my husband came in, and they immediately knew he was Mr. Veggie once he ordered…..

Sandwich Artist: “Oh, hold up. ::judgingly looks me up and down:: You’re married?!?!?!?!? And you don’t cook none for yo husband????? I bet you don’t got no kids neither.”

Jme: ::fuming at this point:: Yes, I am married. No, I do not have any children. Anymore personal questions you want to throw out there? Or can I go ahead and check out?”

At this point, my friends who do work there nudged the woman to STFU, which she finally backed off, and made the comment that she would not ask my business anymore. I am not giving them the chance- as of right now, I am not going back there. I don’t need that shit. Especially from a woman who old enough to be my mother, and is stupid enough to only be able to be a sandwich artist for a career at this point in her life. Plus, maybe on another day, I would have reacted differently, but on that day, when my own mother had turned her back on me, it was too much for me to hold back.

She has probably had more kids than she ever wants, and from the looks of her gold teeth, probably started popping them out at the ripe old age of 14. So is the way of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment